This is my maiden posting - an Apple Walnut Yoghurt Cake which is light and not too sweet, which will be marvelous for those who are watching their sugar level and just love eating! Not only does it go well with a cup of piping hot coffee or tea, it's healthy too. Do try it out. It is not only as easy as ABC but you will enjoy eating it so much that you may want to try this recipe again or share it with your relatives and friends.
Recipe for Apple Walnut Yoghurt Cake
For the Streusel
- 1 oz finely chopped Walnuts
- 1 oz Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Teasp. Cinnamon
- 6 oz Plain/All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teasp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teasp. Baking Soda
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 3 oz Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Cannola/Corn Oil
- 1 Teasp. Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Plain Yoghurt
- 1 Teasp. Lemon juice
- 1 Cup grated Green Apple (about 2 medium size apples, cored & peeled)
For the Streusel : In a bowl, combine all the 3 ingredients, set aside.
For the Cake : Preheat oven to 350 deg.F/180deg.C. Lightly oil & flour an 8 inch sq. baking pan.
1. Sift the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
2. Ceram the egg, egg yolk and caster sugar on medium speed till light, creamy and thick.
3. Reduce speed on low and add in the oil and vanilla. Mix till just incorporated.
4. Add in the yoghurt and lemon juice and mix till just blended and no white streaks remain.
5. Lightly, fold in the grated apple.
6. Spread half batter onto the pan, smoothen, and sprinkle the Streusel on the batter evenly, then with a knife, dip halfway into the batter and give it a swirl. Cover the Streusel with the remaining batter.
7. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
This cake is not thick, only 3/4 inch in height, for greater height, double the recipe.
Another variation of this recipe is to substitute the yoghurt with sour cream but omit the lemon juice.