Kampar Bread Chicken ..................No, no, this emerged from the kitchen of No-Frills Recipes, a wholesome one-dish meal, a little bit spicy, but sumptous, suitable for lunch or dinner
this is the Chicken Curry that I made with the A+1 meat curry paste, and in the background is the Kenwood breadmaker which helped me with the dough for the bread
the A+1 meat curry paste, it's spicy, so I used only half the paste
the Chicken Curry wrapped up in 2 layers of parchment paper, ready to be 'hidden' in the dough
the bread is all done now ....................'Open Sesame'............like a blooming lotus flower, slowly opening up its petals, revealing ............
what's the 'hidden treasure' ....................mmmmmm.............aromatic Curry Chicken!
what are you waiting for, .......... dunk it in .................. Enjoy ..... Yummy
Recipe for Bread Chicken
Ingredients for the Curry :
- 800 gm free-range Chicken - cut into bite size
- 100 gm Shallots ) Pound
- 30 gm Garlic ) or smashed
- 400 gm Potatoes
- 5 sprigs Curry leaves
- 3 stalks Lemon Grass - Crushed
- 500 ml sugarless Soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 100 gm A1+ meat curry paste
- Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces in a teasp of salt, set aside.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in quarters, soak them in some salt water to prevent browning.
- Saute the pounded garlic and shallots and lemon grass in 4 teasps of oil till aromatic.
- Add in 100 gm of the curry paste and curry leaves, fry and put in the potatoes wth 1/2 cup of water.
- Add in the chicken pieces and the soymilk and cook till the meat is tender and the potatoes soft. Do not cover the wok.
- Add salt to taste and let cool before wrapping in the parchment paper. Use 1/3 or 1/2 as filling for the bread.
- The curry is best prepared a day before in order to save time and overnight curry definitely tastes better.
'Dough' cycle : Time - 1 hr. 30 mins.
- 250 ml water
- 1 Egg
- 450 gm High Protein flour
- 1 Teasp Salt
- 2 Teasp Sugar
- 1 oz Butter OR 1.1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teasp Dried Yeast
- Egg Glaze : 1 egg yolk mixed with 3 Teasp water
- At the end of the cycle, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knock back the dough and shape it into a rectangle.
- Put the wrapped filling into the centre of the rectangle, wrap it up nicely and tuck in the sides.
- Place the bread onto a lightly greased baking sheet, cover with a damp cloth, leave it to prove in a warm place for about 20 to 30 mins., or until double in size.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degC/425 degF.
- Brush with egg glaze and bake for 15 to 20 mins., or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Note : Alternative suggestions for the filling :-
- Herbal Chicken
- Mutton Curry
- Chicken/Lamb stew