I was doing stock taking in the kitchen and stumbled upon some yoghurt in the fridge, long forgotten, gosh, I looked at the expiry date, thank goodness it still have a few more days of shelf-life. So, together with some left-over dried pineapple, I whisked these up and shared them with some friends for tea, much to their delight.
Recipe for Pineapple Walnut Muffins
- 150 gm Dried Pineapple - (Chopped)
- 135 gm to 150 gm Plain Yoghurt - (Depending on brand)
- 250 gm Self-Raising Flour
- 1 Teasp. Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/4 Teasp. Salt
- 150 ml low-fat milk/Sugarless Soyabean milk
- 150 ml Cannola Oil
- 100 gm Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 50 gm Walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped - (Optional)
- 1 Teasp Vanilla
- Combine yoghurt and chopped pineapple for about 30 minutes to soften the dried fruit.
- Sift flour, bicarbonte of soda, and salt, mix well.
- Add in sugar and mix thoroughly, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly, add in the oil, soyamilk, vanilla, mix well with a handwhisk.
- Stir in the yoghurt mixture into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour the liquid mixture onto the flour mixture, toss in the chopped walnuts, mix till just combined. Do Not Overmix.
- Scoop the batter into muffin cups/trays, bake in preheated oven at 400 deg F/200 deg C for about 15 to 20 minutes till golden brown. Insert skewer into centre of muffin till it comes out clean.
This recipe works well when substituted with mango yoghurt and dried mangoes, hence, "Mango Muffins".