Here's an excerpt on the nutrients of sweet potatoes, taken from World's Healthiest Foods' site.
Sweet potatoes offer a host of nutrients and an impressive array of antioxidants. They taste delicious, are easy to prepare and can be used in a variety of dishes. Not only are they a more concentrated source of vitamin C, but they are also an excellent source of vitamin A.
To keep the sweet potatoes looking fresh, you should cook them immediately after peeling and/or cutting them since the flesh darkens upon contact with air. If that's not possible, place them in a bowl covered with water until you are ready to cook them as this will retard oxidation form occuring.
Recipe for Taiwanese Porridge aka Sweet Potato Porridge
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 3.1/2 Cups Water
- 200 gm Sweet Potatoes - Peeled and Cut into Cubes
- 2 Eggs - Beaten
- 100 gm Prawns
- 300 gm Cabbage - Cut
- 3 pips Garlic - Chopped
- 50 gm dried shrimps - soaked
- Oil for frying
- Salt to taste
1. Wash the rice, add water and cook in the rice cooker, on 'Porridge' mode.
2. Once the rice grains begin to open up, add in the sweet potato cubes and cook till soft. Switch off.
3. Meanwhile, put some oil in a pan and make the egg and prawn omelette.
4. Stir fry the chopped garlic, with salt and dried shrimps, toss in the cabbage, stir fry till three quarter cooked, drizzle with a dash of light soya sauce.
5. Serve the above 2 dishes with the hot, soft, sweet potato porridge.
What about Pumpkin Porridge ? ....... Easy, just subsitute the sweet potatoes with chopped Pumpkin, tastes equally good and nutritious too!