This cake is suitable for morning coffee or afternoon teas, or serve warm for dessert. Even after being baked, the apples are still crunchy and yummy. This not too sweet cake can keep for 2 days.
The apples are peeled, quartered and cored, cut into thin slices but not all the way through and arranged on the batter, cored side down. Sprinkle with some brown sugar and cinnamon as soon as the cake comes out of the oven.
mmmm...... isn't it lovely
Recipe for German Apple Cake
- 120 gm Butter/Margarine
- 4 oz Caster sugar
- 8 oz Self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk/soymilk
- 3 medium green apples, peeled, quartered and cored
- 1/2 Teasp vanilla
- Cinnamon and Brown sugar for sprinkling on top of the cake
- Cream butter with sugar till light, fluffy and thick
- Add in eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Fold in sifted flour, alternating with soymilk, start with flour and end with flour.
- Spread batter over bottom of slightly greased and floured 21 cm, round springform tin.
- Cut quartered apples into thin slices, but not all the way through. Place them cored side down on the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 1 hour or 1 hr. 5 mins. Test with skewer till it comes out clean.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and brown sugar on the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Leave on wire rack to cool.
1. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar on the cake just before putting it into the oven.
2. To fit a 22 cm springform pan, use a 3 egg recipe.
Apple Walnut Yoghurt Cake