When I saw Elin's Dimply Mango Cake post in her blog, I told myself that I must try it as mango is also one of my favourite fruits. However, I tweaked it a bit, reduced the sugar, butter and the end result is also a yummy cake, especially the delicious mango flavour. It's quite a unique combination, have not seen this cake being sold commercially. Hats off to Elin and thanks for sharing!
arranging the mango slices on the cake takes a bit of effort ......
the yellow bits are the mashed mango which certainly enhance the flavour of the cake
Recipe for Mango Cake
- 6 oz Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 60 gm Butter/Margarine
- 4 oz Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1.1/2 Tsp vanilla
- 3 oz mashed mango
- Mango slices from about 2 medium size mangoes
- Sift the plain flour with the baking powder, salt, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar till light, thick and creamy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly add in the oil, vanilla, mix well.
- On low speed, add in the mashed mangoes.
- Fold in the sifted flour and mix till fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 8 inch round springform pan.
- Arrange the mango slices onto the cake.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 50 mins. Test with skewer till it comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven, let cool on rack before dislodging it.
Do hop over to Elin's blog for the original recipe.
When I was making the mango cake, I was very surprised to find this ..........
an egg with two yolks ...... twins! I didn't add this to the butter and sugar mixture, made an omelette instead.