Braised Hakka mee/noodles which in fact in Cantonese is 'Sam See Mun Meen' ..... what a mouthful! 'Sam See' here means 'three shreds', 'Mun Meen' means braised noodles. The 'three shreds' in this case are mushrooms, chicken and pork all sliced up. This is a very easy to whip up one-dish-meal which is tasty enough yet wholesome.
Mmm ..... look at the famous Ipoh fatty bean sprouts, crunchy and coupled with the not too dry noodles .... Join me and dig in ........ slurp!
Recipe for Braised Hakka mee/noodles
- 100 gm fresh Chinese mushrooms - washed, cut off the stem and sliced
- 100 gm chicken breast - sliced
- 100 gm pork fillet - sliced
- 250 gm bean sprouts
- 3 pieces Hakka noodles - loosened
- 1.1/2 cups water
- Salt/light soya sauce to taste
- Sesame oil
- 1 egg
- Cornflour + water to thicken the gravy
Seasoning for the chicken and pork. Marinate for about 2 hours or more.
- 1.1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tsp light soya sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- In a wok, bring to the boil 1.1/2 cups of water, add in the marinated meat and sliced mushrooms, when cooked, set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the bean sprouts for a second, drain and set aside.
- In the same pot of boiling water, add in the loosened noodles, one at a time, keep stirring for about 1 min.., take out and give it a cold bath of running water - 'kor lang hor', for a second, and return to the boiling water, stir and once the noodles are translucent, they're done. If you prefer them to be softer, cook a little longer.
- Drain and place the noodles onto a serving plate, drizzle in some sesame oil, light and dark soya sauce and mix up the noodles, to prevent them from sticking together.
- Reheat the meat and mushrooms, break in an egg, give it a quick stir, add in cornflour mixture to thicken.
- Add salt and light soya sauce to taste.
- Scoop some blanched bean sprouts onto the plate of noodles, ladle in the mushroom gravy.
- Garnish with the spring onions and chilly, add a dash of pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 3 servings.