This is my last batch of prawns that I've stocked up for CNY and I cooked this for 'Chap Goh Mei', the last day of the lunar New Year and the first 15th day of the year. These prawns have been in the freezer for more than a month, yet they stayed 'springy' and succulent. Do hop over to this site if you want to know more of 'Chap Goh Mei' in Malaysia.
This crispy cereal consists of oats, sugar, pepper, non-dairy creamer and seasoning, helped me create the dish and it was just yummy!
The prawns were so tasty, they became an instant hit with my family ........ snapped up in no time!
Recipe for Crispy cereal Prawns
- 250 gm medium size prawns
- 40 gm (half a packet) mixed cereal
- 2 Bird's eye chillies, cut
- 3 sprigs of fresh curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp margarine
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Trim off the eyes, feelers and legs of prawns, devein but with shell intact, pat dry.
- Marinate with above seasoning for about an hour or more, keep aside.
- In a wok, heat up enough oil to deep fry the prawns.
- Once the oil is hot, quickly deep fry them, dish out once the shells change colour. Drain, discard oil.
- Wash the wok clean, heat up and add in the margarine.
- Once the margarine has melted, toss in the chillies and curry leaves. Stir-fry.
- Toss in the cereal, mix well and add in the pre-fried prawns. Stir-fry and dish out.
Alternatively, you can use chicken or fish fillet with the above cereal mix.