This is my 3rd attempt at making this and yes, I've finally managed to concoct the recipe for the batter. This batter has a crispy texture and stays that way for quite a while. These fritters were devoured in no time!
To achieve the right consistency for the batter, mix it with enough water and test to see whether it can coat the back of the metal spoon. If it stays that way and not runny, you're on the right track!
Garnish with some sliced cucumbers and dip it in a sauce of your choice, and in this case, it's chilly sauce!
Recipe for Prawn Fritters
- 300 gm medium size prawns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 oz self-raising flour
- 1 oz corn flour
- 1 Tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100 ml water
- 1.1/2 Tbsp oil
- Oil for deep frying
- Devein and shell the prawns but with keep tails intact. Pat dry.
- Marinate with the salt and sugar and set aside.
- Mix all the flours, baking powder, salt together, gradually pour in the water and mix to a smooth batter. Add in the oil and mix thoroughly. Let batter rest for 30 mins.
- Check to see whether the batter is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Heat up enough oil in a wok for deep frying.
- Put droplets of batter into the oil and if they sizzle, then the oil is ready. Lower to medium heat.
- Hold the prawn by the tail, dip it into the batter and gently lower it into the oil, or if not, you can use a spoon to coat the prawn and put it into the oil. Frying time is about 3 mins.
- Take out, drain, and place on kitchen abosorbent paper to absorb the oil.
- Garnish with the sliced cucumbers, add a sauce of your choice.
- Serve immediately.
~~ Enjoy! ~~