This cake is delicious, chocolate with a bit of tangy lemon taste. It goes perfectly well with a cup of strong black tea. It's not too sweet as I've always reduced the sugar and added in some rum which makes it all the more delectable!
I divided the batter into 2 equal portions, added one with chocolate powder and rum while the other is with lemon juice and rind. Pour the lemon batter onto the chocolate batter and then just pour the batter onto the prepared cake tin without mixing and let the pattern takes its course.
Mmmm this cake is truly delicious, soft and moist ........................ Enjoy!
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 190 gm butter/margarine
- 3 eggs beaten
- 6 oz self-raising flour - sifted
- 2 Tbsp cocoa/chocolate powder - sifted
- 2 Tbsp Rum (you can use Brandy or milk)
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- Lightly grease and flour an 8 inch round/square tin.
- Beat the butter with the sugar till light, fluffy and creamy.
- Gradually add in eggs, one @ a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour.
- Divide batter into half.
- Add the cocoa/chocolate powder and rum to one part, mix till well combined.
- Add in grated lemon rind and juice to the other part, mix well.
- Pour the lemon mixture onto the cocoa mixture (no mixing), then pour the whole mixture onto the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven @ 180 degC for about 25 to 30 mins. Insert a skewer into the centre and see if it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for about 5 mins. before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.