This double boiled free-range chicken soup is just what we need in this hot and humid weather. Free-range chicken or 'kampung chicken' are much sought after as a healthier option to farm chicken. They are gaining popularity among consumers as they are fed on natural vegetation and not administered any form of hormone injection. As such, their meat is more lean in texture and tastes better. Also free-range chicken has less fat, hence it's very suitable for soups, porridge, curry, etc.
A very refreshing and nutritious soup to go with rice, rice vermicelli or even noodles.
Recipe for Doube boiled chicken and scallop soup
- 450 gm free-range chicken cut into fairly big pieces
- 380 gm Chinese cabbage, washed and cut
- 40 gm dried scallops, about 6 pieces
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Put 4 cups of hot water into the pot of the double boiler.
- Add in the chicken pieces and scallops.
- Steam for about 2.1/2 hours, checking in the water level of the double boiler now and again.
- Add in the vegetables after that, steam for another 10 mins.
- Add salt to taste.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Serve with rice or rice vermicelli, noodles, etc.