I love spicy food and even though we're experiencing a 'heat wave' now, I just can't resist this ..... heaty, maybe, but no worries, can make some 'leong sui', cooling drink tomorrow!
- 650 gm free range chicken - cut into bite size
- 100 gm shallots
- 50 gm garlic
- 1/2 inch of belacan - shrimp paste
- 5 dried chillies - soaked till soft, seeded and cut
- 2 stalks lemon grass - can be crushed or blended
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- Some kaffir leaves
- Wash the chicken pieces, drain, set aside.
- Blend together the shallots, garlic, belacan, dried chillies and lemon grass.
- Mix the blended ingredients into the chicken pieces together with the salt, fish sauce and brown sugar. Leave it aside for a few hours.
- Put the marinated chicken pieces in a wok, add in the water, tear some kaffir leaves into smaller pieces, cook uncovered under medium and low heat till meat is tender.
- Fine tune to taste and dish out onto serving plate.
- Serve hot with rice, bread or roti canai.
~~~ Enjoy! ~~~