In my previous post on 'Steamed minced pork with silver fish', some readers were not familiar with what is 'silver fish' or 'ngan yu chai'. So, I made this simple dish and took some pictures of these mini anchovives. You can steam this in the rice cooker just before the 'keep warm' function or you can steam it under rapdily boiling water for about 5 mins.
It's better to use a strainer when you wash these mini anchovives as they're very tiny and may slip off and be washed away easily.
Chop some red chillies, add in some preserved black beans, a bit of sugar and a dash of sesame oil to the washed mini anchovives.
These are yummy, excellent to go with rice or plain white porridge.
- 50 gm silver fish
- 1/2 tsp each ~ preserved black beans, sugar and sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 red chilly chopped
- a dash of pepper
- Wash the silver fish and drain on a strainer.
- Place drained silver fish into a bowl and mix in all the ingredients till well combined. Keep aside.
- When the rice in the rice cooker is about three-quarters dry, place the bowl of silver fish on it just before the rice completes the 'cook' cycle and switch to the 'keep warm' function.
- Serve hot with a dash of pepper.