This is another of my mum's recipe. Each time she cooked this dish, it's for sure that all of us will go for second helping of rice!
Strain off any excess oil from the simmering pork belly.
Mmm ...... succulent meat infused with the tangy and slightly spicy sauce, pairs extremely well with white rice.
- 450 gm pork belly, cut into bite size
- 3 dried chillies
- 10 gm young ginger, sliced
- 2 pieces tamarind skin
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 3/4 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.1/2 cups water
- 20 gm rock sugar or to taste
- Soak the dried chillies in some hot water and discard the seeds.
- Marinate the pork with some salt, set aside.
- In a pot, add in 1.1/2 cups water, rock sugar, light and dark soya sauce, dried chillies, tamarind skin and ginger slices. Bring to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add in the marinated pork pieces.
- Let the meat simmer under medium, then low heat. It will not take long for the pork to be tender as the tamarind skin acts as a tenderiser.
- Cook till the sauce is slightly reduced, add rock sugar/salt to taste.
- Dish out and serve hot with rice.