I've been pondering what to do with the egg whites, leftover from making the egg glaze for bread, and yes I remembered coming across a Pumpkin Seeds Cisps from MaryMoh of Keep learning keep smiling, a blog with many original recipes. As for this recipe, I reduced the sugar, replaced pumpkin seeds with almond flakes, tweaked the method a bit and here's what I got ...... 34 pieces in all.
Mix flour, sugar, melted butter, egg whites and vanilla in a mixing bowl, let rest for 30 mins.
Spoon mixture onto a parchment lined tray, spread with the back of the spoon and sprinkle almond flakes in the centre.
Crispy tuiles and nice aroma from the almonds, can be addictive, real yummy. Since Mother's Day is just round the corner, why not make some and surprise your sweet, dear Momsie!
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- 60 gm caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp or 30 gm butter/margarine (melted)
- 50 gm plain flour
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Almond flakes/Pumpkin seeds (amount as desired)
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add in sugar, mix well.
- Make a well in the centre, add in the melted butter, lightly beaten egg whites and vanilla. Mix till well combined.
- Let batter rest for 30 mins.
- Drop 1 leavel teaspoon of batter onto a baking tray, lined with parchment paper.
- Using the back of the spoon, slowly spread the mixture as thinly as possible to a circle about 2inches in diameter.
- Sprinkle some almond flakes onto the centre of the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 3 mins, or till lightly brown. Do not overbake.
- Let stand for a minute and carefully lift the biscuits from tray to cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cooled, store in an air-tight container or jar.
- Makes 34 pieces.