This 'Koay Teow Bandung' is my favourite whenever I patronise the Idris Room of the Royal Ipoh Club, so much so that the waiter will automatically jot it down whenever he passes me the menu. The Royal Ipoh Club is more than 100 years old and dates back a long time during the British colonial rule, totally restricted to whites, like planters, tin miners and administrators.
However, the age of the Royal Ipoh Club was fixed by its Management Committee in 1972 based on the establishment of one of the oldest British companies, Osborne and Chapel International, in this historical city that tin built. The management committee could only guess and agree on the year as Osborne and Chapel was established about that time.
Today, any Malaysian can become a member of this club and it's now a regular meeting place for lawyers as the courthouse is within walking distance from this club. Check out this 'site' for more of this Tudor style black and white clubhouse.
Saute the chopped garlic with oil, add in the curry paste, then the seasoned meat, fry till cooked. Add in the koay teow, sauces and salt, stir-fry. Toss in the choy sam, make a well in the centre, break in the eggs, mix well and toss in the prawns and bean sprouts. Stir-fry, test for taste and dish out.
Yummy isn't it ........ Want to join me???
- 150 gm meat (chicken or pork) - sliced
- 100 gm prawns - shelled
- 400 gm koay teow (flat, thick type for frying)
- 150 gm choy sam - cut into 2 inch lengths
- 100 gm bean sprouts
- 3 pips garlic - chopped
- 3 tsp curry powder, mixed with 2 tsp water to form a paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp each of - dark soya sauce, salt
- Oil for frying
- Limau kasturi - optional
- Saute the chopped garlic with some oil till fragrant.
- Add in the curry paste, seasoned meat, stir-fry till meat is cooked.
- Add in the loosened koay teow and stir-fry, add in salt and sauces. Sprinkle in some water if necessary.
- Toss in the cut choy sam, stir-fry for a while, make a well in the centre and break in the eggs, give it a quick stir.
- Finally add in the seasoned prawns, stir-fry for a while, then the bean sprouts.
- Test for taste and dish out onto serving plate.
- Serve hot and squeeze in some limau kasturi/calamasi if desired.
Do find out more on this 'site'