Whenever I have the opportunity I like to hang around bakeries and look at the different shapes and patterns of their bread and buns on display. Yes, for inspiration to experiment. I recently made these 'Red Bean Rolls' for tea and they still tasted good the next day!
After the first proving, roll out the dough, place the red bean paste in the centre, fold up and roll up into half, then fold up the sides.
Turn over the folded up dough, roll out flat, then roll up like a swiss roll and cut into 1 inch thick pieces.
Place the rolls in a pan and cover with a damp cloth, let rise again for about 40 min. Apply egg glaze and bake in preheated oven.
Freshly baked rolls straight out from the oven ....... lovely aroma!
These yummy rolls are good for tea anytime!
- 300 gm high protein flour
- 25 gm caster sugar
- 1/4 level tsp salt
- 1 level tsp yeast
- 170 ml milk
- 45 gm butter/margarine - cut into small pieces
- Filling - 350 gm red bean paste
- Egg glaze - 1 egg yolk + 1 Tbsp water + a tinge of salt
- Mix sifted flour, sugar, salt and yeast with the dough hook in a mixing bowl.
- Add milk, beat for a second, then add in butter and continue to beat until dough is smooth and leave the sides of the bowl. Remove the dough hook.
- Cover the mixing bowl with a damp cloth, set to prove for 50 mins. in a warm place till double in bulk.
- Dough is ready for shaping when an indentation made with a finger remains.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl onto a lightly floured work top.
- Roll out dough into an oblong, spread the red bean paste onto the centre of the dough.
- Fold the dough from the top and from the bottom. Then fold into half.
- Fold in from both ends and turn over.
- Roll out to a rectangle and roll up tightly like a swiss roll.
- Cut to about 1 inch thick and place, cut side down onto a greased pan.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for about 40 mins. or till double in size.
- Apply egg glaze and bake in preheated oven @ 180 deg C for about 25 mins. or till golden brown.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.