I have to thank Kristy of 'My Little Space' for introducing this super easy 2 in 1 Chicken Rice. Not only is it easy to prepare, the rice is truly delicious as it has soaked up all the juice from the chicken. In fact my family members are of the opinion that it tastes much better than those Hainan chicken rice from the stalls, at least there's no MSG add on! I've made this a couple of times, quick and easy ....... no-frills!
Put rice in rice cooker, add in some salt, pandan/screwpine leaves, spring onion and a knob of smashed ginger.
Place half a chicken on top of the rice. Switch on 'Cook Rice' button.
Chicken and rice already cooked at the end of the cycle.
Remove chicken and fluff up the rice, discard the pandan leaves, spring onion and ginger.
Chicken rice served with a dipping sauce of chopped chilly, garlic and light soya sauce.
This is truly a very comforting meal. I only had to blanch a veggie, drizzle on some olive oil, light soya sauce, and dinner is ready!
- 500 gm, half a free range chicken
- 1 cup Taj Mahal rice (for 4 servings)
- 3 cups water
- a few pandan/screwpine leaves
- a knob of ginger, smashed
- a sprig of spring onion
- Salt to taste
- Wash the chicken, pat dry, rub in some salt and a bit of pepper. Keep aside.
- Wash the rice, rinse a couple of times, place in the rice cooker, add in 1/2 tsp salt, pandan leaves, spring onion, ginger and water.
- Place the seasoned half chicken on top of the rice. Switch on 'Cook Rice' button and let the rice cooker takes care of itself.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the chicken and place on a plate to cool before chopping it up.
- Fluff up the rice, discard the pandan leaves, ginger and spring onion.
- Serve the hot rice with the chopped up chicken and dipping sauce.