Porridge ~ Congee ...... another comfort food that invokes feelings of nostalgia especially of our childhood. Perfect for this hot, humid weather!
Not only is this soft and yummy, it's super easy to prepare. Just let the rice cooker do what it's supposed to do and you just wait for your meal while attending to other chores. Just love those oysters, cholesterol ..... never mind, it's not always on the agenda!
- 750 gm pork ribs, cut to 2 inch lengths
- 60 gm dried oysters, rinsed
- 20 gm groundnuts
- 1 cup rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp instant oats + 2 Tbsp hot water
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander and spring onions for garnishing
- Wash the pork ribs and blanch them in some hot, boiling water to get rid of scum. Rinse with running water, drain and set aside.
- Wash the dried oysters and groundnuts, set aside.
- Wash the rice and add in 6 cups of water, put in the rice cooker, cook on 'Porridge' mode.
- Once the water starts to boil, add in the pork ribs, oysters and groundnuts and continue cooking.
- Meanwhile, prepare the oatmeal by mixing the instant oats with hot water and let it stand for a while.
- Add in this oatmeal when the rice grains start to open up.
- Continue to cook till the ribs are tender, and the porridge is to your desired consistency.
- Add salt and light soya sauce to taste.
- Ladle onto serving bowls, garnish with some chopped coriander, spring onions, a dash of pepper and drizzle in some sesame oil.
- Serve hot with some chopped bird eye chillies and soya sauce.