Bak kwa or Long Yoke are just different names for this BBQ sweetmeat which is a popular delicacy during CNY. Since I've brought back a packet of '00' Italian flour from Melbourne, thought I'll try making bread with this and came up with 'Bak Kwa ~ BBQ Sweetmeat sandwich loaf'.
'00' Italian flour which cost slightly less than 3AUD for 1 kg.
Cut up bak kwa and some canola oil.Roll out the ball of dough, flatten a bit, apply a thin layer of oil, place the bak kwa pieces, sandwhich with the plain dough in the middle.
Loaf in the dish before proving.
Loaf after proving, apply egg glaze and a generous sprinkling of black sesame seeds.
Should have put another layer of bak kwa pieces, well, will do so next time.
You don't need a serrated knife to slice up the bread, just tear it apart with your fingers!
Fluffy texture, soft and yummy!
Just couldn't resist snapping this, ok..... one for the road!
- 360 gm '00' flour - sifted
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.1/8 tsp dried yeast
- 200 ml milk
- 55 gm butter/margarine
- 150 gm bak kwa - cut
- Black sesame seeds or nuts of your choice (optional)
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water - egg glaze
- Mix sifted flour, salt, yeast and sugar with the dough hook for a short while till well mixed.
- Add in milk, beat for a second, then mix in the butter and continue to beat till dough is smooth and leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Remove dough hook, cover the bowl with a damp cloth, let prove for an hour or till double in size in a warm place.
- Punch dough to release air, knead for a few minutes till smooth.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Subdivide each portion into 8 small pieces, totalling 16 small pieces of dough.
- Shape each piece into a flat round, roll out about 3 inch diameter, apply a thin layer of oil on 8 pieces of dough. Place the sweetmeat and sandwhich together with a plain round piece of dough.
- Arrange them into a lightly greased 8" x 4" dish, standing on their sides close together. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 40 mins.
- Brush top of loaf with beaten egg glaze, sprinkle on black sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 degC for 20 to 25 mins. or till golden brown.
- Let cool in dish for 5 mins. before removing and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
Note : You can substitute '00' Italian flour with high protein or bread flour.
Malaysian Monday. Do check it out here for more information.
Also, I'm submitting this to 'YeastSpotting'. Do check it out too.