I made this Pineapple Upside Down cake using the same recipe as my earlier post on
'Peach Upside Down cake', merely substituting peaches with canned pineapple rings. I filled up the gaps with walnuts resulting in a sourish, fruity and nutty taste.
I like this cake, soft and moist and do keep any left-overs in the refrigerator.
For the Topping, cream the following 2 ingredients
- 2 oz butter/margarine
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 oz butter/margarine
- 3.1/2 to 4 oz caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz plain flour
- 1.1/2 level baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp orange or lemon zest
- Canned pineapple rings - drained of syrup
- Sift flour with the baking powder, salt, set aside.
- Cream the 2 oz butter and brown sugar till creamy and spread it over the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square tin.
- Arrange the drained pineapple rings over the butter-sguar coating. Fill up the gaps with walnuts. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light, creamy and thick.
- Add in eggs one @ a time.
- Fold in half sifted flour and add in the milk and vanilla. Mix well and add in the remaining flour.
- Mix in the orange zest, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Spoon batter over the pineapple rings and bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 50mins.
- When cake tests done, invert it immediately onto a serving plate.
- Leave for a few minutes before removing the cake tin.
- Let cool and serve.
I'm submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #5 Fruity March (March 2011)
hosted by Jess of Bakericious
I'm taking a short break, see you folks next week!
I'm also submitting this post to Lisa at Sweet as Sugar Cookies. Do check it out 'here'.