It's time for some sour and spicy dish to whet the palate after consumimg so much sweet meats and high calorie food over the past few weeks ...... 'Tomyam steam fish'
Very basic ingredients - Tomyam paste, bunga kantan, big onion and kaffir leaves ...ooops, forgot to bring in the bird eye chillies for the picture.
Used a generous cut of fish tail end, dressed it up with all the 'paraphernalia', and into the hot pot of boiling water, it goes .................
Transformed - add a sprinkling of finely chopped kaffir lime leaves.
I like this part very much, the muscles and it's chewy!
You're welcome to join me for dinner ..... quick serve the white rice!
- 500 gm tail portion of fish
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 bird eye chillies - chopped
- 1/2 Bunga Kantan, sliced thinly
- 4 pieces Kaffir lime leaves - sliced thinly
- 2 Tbsp tomyam paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp water
- Wash the fish tail, make 2 slits about 1.1/2 inches apart across the side of the fish. Season with some salt and set aside.
- Place some onion slice on the base of the plate and put the fish on top.
- Mix the tomyam paste with the sugar and water, test for taste and spoon over the fish.
- Next, sprinkle on the sliced bunga kantan and chopped bird eye chillies.
- Steam over rapidly boiling hot water for about 12 mins.
- Sprinkle on the sliced kaffir lime leaves and turn off heat.
- Serve immediately with white rice.