I still had some '00' flour with me after making Bak Kwa ~ BBQ Sweetmeat Sandwich Loaf and was browsing through the net looking for another suitable and yet to try recipe. I stumbled on a post of Focaccia Sandwich from Kitchen Corner and without much hesitation set my hands on trying out this bread with no reservations!
This bread served my dinner well. We had it on its own with some salad. Soup was not necessary, suits the lazy me, just fine! Will I make this again? Yes, this time will make do with just high protein flour.
(Recipe adapted from Kichen Corner with modifications)
- 375 gm '00' Italian flour
- 12 gm sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 210 ml water
- 1.1/4 tsp dried yeast
- 12 ml olive oil
- 30 gm honey baked ham
- Garlic - chooped
- Pumpkin seeds
- White sesame seeds
- A little sprinkling of seasalt (optional)
- 1 egg + a bit of egg white to glaze
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. Add in water and gradually pour in the olive oil.
- Knead the dough with the dough hook till it comes together to form a smooth and soft ball. (Not as long as you would knead for ordinary bread).
- Remove the dough hook and lightly oil the bowl, cover the bowl with a piece of damp cloth, let dough prove in a warm place for an hour, or till it doubles in size.
- Knock out air from the dough, knead lightly, divide into 2 portions, let rest covered for 10 mins.
- Roll out to an oblong. Lift up the piece of dough and place this on a tray lined with baking paper. Arrange the pieces of ham on top of this piece of dough leaving some space at the sides.
- Roll out the other piece of dough and place this on top of the ham. Seal the edges tightly.
- Cover with a piece of damp cloth and let prove for another 20 mins.
- Apply egg wash, sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds, chopped garlic, sesame seeds and little seasalt.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 190 degC for 20 to 25 mins. till golden brown.
- Remove from tray and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut up with a serrated knife and serve.
I'm submitting this post to Yeastspotting.