The weather here in Ipoh has gone crazy! It's super hot these days and so humid. You don't need to pay to have a sauna bath for you're getting it free everyday literally sweating in your home with all the fans on full blast. Yes, what about having the air-conditioner on full day. Good thinking but watch it, our national electricity supplier is going to raise their rates with effect from July, good timing for them!
I cooked this porridge to combat the weather and to cool our system ..... Ginkgo nut and beancurd porridge.
Ginkgo is mainly used as a memory and concentration enhancer, helps to reverse memory loss! Also supposed to relieve hangovers, coughs and asthma and although is has a high starch content, it's low in fat. As for nutrients, they are are excellent source of phosphorous, potassium, copper, thiamin and niacin.
Served this with Chinese Churros ~ Yau Tieu. Perfect one-dish meal, so comforting ....... Slurp!
- 150 gm ginkgo nuts - shelled, skin removed
- 40 gm beancurd sheets - rinsed and tear into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup rice
- 7 cups water
- 1 Tbsp instant cooking oats - optional
- 1 tsp chicken granules - optional
- Salt to taste
- Crack up and discard the shells of the ginkgo nuts, remove the skin, wash and set aside.
- Wash rice, put into the rice pot and add in 7 cups water. Switch onto 'Porridge' mode of the rice cooker.
- Once the rice grains begin to open up, add in the ginkgo nuts and continue cooking.
- After about 15 mins, add in the instant oats, give it a stir.
- Once the porridge is soft, check for desired consistency, add in the limp beancurd sheets, stir and add salt to taste. Mix in the chicken granules if desired.
- Ladle onto serving bowls and serve with Chinese Churros or have it on its own.
I'm submitting this entry to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out 'Here'.