I've been wondering how to make good use of my Friand pan mould other than making Blueberry Friands which I've posted earlier. Then it dawned on me that I could also make use of this shape for cupcakes as well. The pan mould is also a cup but only in an oblong shape, so why not? And so these cute little Orange Cupcakes were born!
This is original 'plain Jane' void of make-up, looks like a 'tophat' !
Soft, moist and flavourful ................ Tea time, any one?
- 250 gm butter
- 250 gm self-raising flour
- 170 gm vanilla sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp orange rind (keep some extra for decorating)
- 85 ml fresh orange juice
- pinch of salt
- some icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Sift flour with salt, set aside.
- Cream sugar, butter and orange rind till light, fluffy and creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Fold in sifted flour alternating with orange juice, start with flour and end with flour. Mix well.
- Scoop up batter into the lightly greased and floured mould.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 degC for 20 - 25 mins. Test with a skewer if it comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for about 10 mins. before removing and transferring to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Decorate with some icing sugar and a little sprinkling of orange rind, if desired.