As mentioned in my 'Steamed Mantou ~ Flower Bun' post, this is the soy braised pork belly that I whipped up to pair with the steamed buns. I had made this a day before and over time the meat mellowed and it was so soft and tasty the next day. This meat together with the sauce complimented the Mantou very well.
Served this braised pork belly with freshly steamed Mantou ......... soooo yummy!
- 500 gm pork belly, cut into 1/2 x 2 inch sizes
- 1 litre water
- 10 pips garlic, smashed with skin on
- 6 cloves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 30 gm rock sugar
- 1.1/2 Tbsp each of : oyster sauce and light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp each of : dark soya sauce and salt
- 2 to tsp cornflour + 2 tsp water to thicken
- 2 to 3 chilli padi /bird eye chillies (optional)
- Saute the smashed garlic with some oil till fragrant, toss in the rock sugar to caramelise but not to brown it. Add in the cloves, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Add water followed by the sauces and salt.
- Once boiling, add in the pork belly, chilli padi, simmer for a while, then cover with lid and cook on low heat till meat is tender.
- Fine tune to taste and stir in thickening.
- Dish out onto serving plate.
- Serve immediately.