Itching for a snack? Ahhh.... think these crispy cornflake slices are just what you need to satisfy your craving along with a hot cup of coffee, tea or even a glass of milk.
This is best eaten on the day it's baked. Leftovers? Just pop them into the oven toaster for a minute ... the layer of jam will somehow soften the cornflakes if left overnight.
(Recipe adapted from 'The Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits' with modifications)
Recipe for Cornflake raisin slice
Ingredients - for the Base
- 4 oz butter
- 1.1/2 oz sugar ( you can increase to 2 oz if preferred it sweeter)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 oz plain flour
- 3 oz self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 jam of your choice + 1.1/2 tsp water, cook under low heat to make the jam spreadable
- 1/4 cup raisins/sultanas/black currants (you can add more if preferred)
- 2 oz butter
- 1 oz vanilla/caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp self-raising flour
- 1.1/2 cup crushed cornflakes or dessicated coconut
- Sift flours and set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, vanilla and egg till light and creamy, stir in the sifted flours and milk.
- Spread mixture evenly over the base of a parchment lined pan. Grease the sides of the pan.
- Spread evenly with jam, sprinkle in raisins.
- Use a fork to spread the topping evenly over the raisins.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 30 - 35 mins. or till golden brown.
- Stand in the pan for 10 mins. before lifting out the slice and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut when completely cooled.
Cream butter, sugar till light, add in the egg, beat till well combined. Stir in sifted flour and crushed cornflakes. Mix well.