Made these Banana almond slice with some leftovers that I salvaged from my fridge .... near expiry Digestive biscuits and slivered almonds. I adopted the recipe from The Australian Women's weekly, Biscuits and Slices but had to modify the recipe to suit my 9" x 13" pan.
These are good for snack and are at their best on the day they are made. The crunchy almond slivers do blend in very well with the sweet bananas.
Recipe for Banana almond slice
- 250 gm Digestive biscuits, crushed
- 150 gm butter melted
- 90 gm butter
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 cups sliced just ripe bananas
- 50 gm slivered almonds
- Line a 9 inch by 13 inch baking tray with baking paper. Combine crushed biscuits with 45 gm of butter and press evenly over the base of the prepared tin. Cover and let cool in the fridge for half an hour till firm.
- Using a wooden spoon, beat the remaining 45 gm of butter with egg yolk and sugar till smooth. Add in sifted flour, custard powder and milk. Mix well.
- Spread the egg mixture over the biscuit base with a spatula. Arrange the sliced bananas on top and sprinkle on the slivered almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 30 mins, till firm and golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 10 mins. before lifting up to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut up the slice when cooled.