This dish will go down very well with a bowl of hot steaming white rice or even a simple mantou.
Recipe for Braised pork belly
- 600 gm pork belly, skin removed
- 10 pips garlic
- 2 big shallots
- 1 small knob young ginger
- 2 star anise
- 2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 20 gm rock sugar or to taste
- 2.1/2 cups water
- 1.1/2 tsp cornflour + 2 tsp water to thicken
- Salt to taste
- Slice up the garlic, shallots and ginger. Saute with some oil and add in the star anise. Fry till fragrant.
- Add in the water, sauces, salt and rock sugar, let it boil.
- Add in the pork belly, lower the heat, cover and let it simmer, turning over the meat, now and again. Remove any oil that may surface.
- Once the meat is soft and tender, test for taste and take out. Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch mixture.
- Cut up the meat, arrange on serving plate and spoon the sauce over.
- Serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday. Do check it out 'Here'.