From the kitchen of 'No-Frills Recipes' here comes piping hot and sweet smelling 'Bak Kwa rolls'. I made these rolls with Bak Kwa or sweet dried meat leftover from Chinese New Year. They were soft and delectable with the Bak Kwa and I saved up two rolls for breakfast the next day. Surprisingly they were still soft although I added some wholemeal flour to this recipe.
Recipe for Bak Kwa rolls
(A) 270 gm high protein flour
30 gm wholemeal flour
55 gm sugar
5 gm salt
10 gm milk powder
2 tsp instant yeast
(B) 1/2 an egg
150 ml cold water
(C) 30 gm butter
(D) Bak kwa pieces
(E) 1/2 an egg + 1 tsp water to make egg wash
(F) Poppy seeds for topping
- Mix all the ingredients in (A) with the dough hook till well blended.
- Then add in (B) and mix on low speed to form a dough.
- Add in the butter in (C) and beat on medium speed to form a smooth and non-sticky dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth or cling film and let it prove for 60 mins. in a warm place.
- Press the dough with your finger and if the indentation remains, then the dough is ready for shaping.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface, knock off some air from the dough, knead lightly and divide the dough into 70 gm portions. Shape the dough into balls, cover and put in the fridge to let rest for 15 mins.
- Roll dough to an oblong around 6 to 7 inches in length, place filling @ the top end, cut strips @ the other end with a sharp knife. Roll from the filling/top end and tuck in the sides.
- Arrange rolls on a parchment lined baking tray, cover with a damp cloth and leave to prove in a warm place for 45 mins. or till they double in size.
- Brush with egg wash. Sprinkle on some poppy seeds.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 190 deg C for 12 to 15 mins. or till golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 8 rolls.
Related post :-
Bak kwa ~ BBQ sweetmeat sandwich loaf