With Mandarin oranges aplenty at this time of the year I was toying with the idea of baking a cake with these sweet-tangy citrus. The cake was moist and dense but on the whole it was delicious served as breakfast, tea or as a snack. What I liked most was the crispy sugary crust.
Recipe for Mandarin yoghurt slice
- 125 gm butter/margarine
- 5 oz caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 7 oz plain flour
- 1.1/2 tsp baking powder
- 250 ml plain yoghurt
- 1 oz almond meal/ground almond
- 3 to 4 Mandarin oranges, peeled
- 1 Tbsp demerara sugar
- Sift flour with salt, leave aside.
- Cream butter, and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well.
- Fold in sifted flour alternating with yoghurt. Mix till streaks of yoghurt are no longer visible.
- Mix in the almond meal and vanilla. Mix thoroughly scraping from the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl..
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased and floured 9 inch springform pan.
- Top with mandarin orange pieces and sprinkle on the demerara sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg.C for 40 to 45 mins., or till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool in pan before unmoulding and cool completely on a wire rack.