This is the first time that I'm using sweet potatoes in a curry and was very eager to see how this would fare. The curry turned out to be rich, not heavy with a slight sweet, creamy onion sauce that just melts in your mouth and most important, it was well received by my family members.
This curry dish is very versatile, pairs well with white rice, bread, capati or roti canai.
Recipe for Curry Chicken with Yoghurt and Sweet Potatoes
- 800 gm free range chicken
- 10 shallots, pounded
- 6 pips garlic, pounded
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 200 gm Japanese sweet potatoes cut into medium size cubes
- 200 ml yoghurt
- 15 gm Algappas meat curry powder
- 2 cups water
- Seasalt to taste
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the curry powder and a bit of salt for about an hour, set aside.
- Saute the pounded shallots, garlic, cloves and cinnamon stick with some oil, fry till fragrant.
- Add in the marinated chicken, fry for a while and toss in the sweet potatoes.
- Add in 2 cups water, once boiling, reduce heat, cover and cook till chicken is tender and sweet potatoes cooked through.
- Fine tune to taste, add in the tomatoes and yoghurt, simmer and turn off heat. (Do not bring to the boil as the heat will make the yoghurt curdle).
- Dish out and serve hot.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by