I was inspired by Ann to attempt this Italian Apple Cake as I was hooked when I saw the layers of apple in her cupcakes. I didn't make cupcakes though but pour all the batter into a springform pan to make a whole cake instead. I waited eagerly for the cake to cool before cutting it up to see how the apples will appear and was delighted with the result. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Ann.
This is a cake for all occasions and serves well with a pot of plain hot tea. To make this whole cake, I made 1.1/2 of the following recipe.
Recipe for Italian Apple Cake (Adapted from Anncoojournal)
- 270 gm butter
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 270 gm plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1.1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 6 green apples, cored and sliced with skin intact
- 4.1/2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla till light and creamy.
- Add in eggs little by little.
- Fold in the sifted flour, cinnamon and baking powder by hand.
- Add in the sliced apples and mix well into the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased and flour dusted 23 cm springform pan.
- Bake for 50 mins., till golden brown and use a skewer to test if it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan before unmoulding and cooling it completely on a wire rack.