The orange flavour of these muffins comes from the zest in the batter and the brushing of fresh orange juice once they exit from the oven. They are moist and crunchy, best eaten on the day they're made. Good for breakfast, tea or as a snack anytime of the day!
Left overs taste better when they're warmed for a minute or two.
Recipe for Orange poppyseed Muffins
- 225 gm self-raising flour
- 120 gm caster sugar
- 175 gm melted butter
- 100 gm yoghurt
- 1.1/2 Tbsp poppyseeds lightly toasted
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Sift flour, mix in sugar, zest and poppyseeds together in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs into yoghurt, vanilla and melted butter, then tip this into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk till just combined.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 20 to 22 mins. till light brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by mixing the two ingredients till the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and brush on the orange glaze while they are still hot. Leave to cool in pan for about 5 mins. before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 12 muffins.