My mum was very good at cooking this porky dish and it was one of my dad's favourite. Whenever she cooked this dish she must add in more rice in the rice pot as my siblings would always have second helpings of rice. Reason being that this gravy certainly goes down well with plain white rice.
Isn't this mouth-watering? Spicy and a but sweetish ........... more rice, anyone?
Recipe for Spicy Pig Trotters
- 1.8 kg pig trotters, cut into bite size
- 5 dried red chillies, soak in hot water to soften
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 6 star anise
- 4 ginger slices
- 1 Tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp seasalt
- 30 gm rock sugar or to taste
- Heat up some water in a wok and blanch the pig trotters to remove scum.
- Remove from work, rinse with running water, keep aside.
- Saute the chillies, star anise, cinnamon stick and ginger slices with some oil till fragrant.
- Add in the pig trotters and stir-fry for a while. Add in enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to the boil, then lower heat, add in the sauces, salt and rock sugar. Cover the wok and cook till the meat is tender, about 1.1/2 hours.
- Test for taste and dish out to serve.
I'm linking this post to "Red Meats Feast' hosted by MySpicyKitchen