As the name implies, this is an update on my previous post of 'Simple carrot walnut cake' which was posted in October 2009 not long after I started blogging. Now I'm resurrecting this recipe with pictures of the preparation for easy reference and also for my own record. This time I added one ounce of wholemeal flour and subsequently reduced the plain flour to two ounces. Can't really tell the difference in texture but the cake tasted good all the same. Don't really understand why but this cake remains as a priority favourite amongst my family members.
Recipe for Carrot Walnut Cake
- 4.1/2 oz brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup canola/corn oil
- 1 oz wholemeal flour
- 2 oz plain flour
- 3 oz self-raising flour
- 1.1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 2.1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 70 gm raisins, chopped and mixed with some flour from the above
- 100 gm walnuts lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sieve the plain flour and self-raising flour with the salt, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream the eggs with the brown sugar till creamy, add in the oil and vanilla, continue beating till creamy and light.
- Add in the sifted flour, mix till well incorporated.
- Add in the shredded carrots, mix well.
- Mix in the raisins followed by the walnuts. Mix thoroughly, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a 24 x 13 x 7 cm loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 40 to 45 mins., till brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for about 5 mins. before lifting it up to cool completely on a wire rack.