Credit must be given to my daughter for preparing this savoury and delicious Pumpkin soup from scratch. Although it was quite a tedious job which required long hours to make the chicken stock, I must admit that it was well worth the effort. A delectable, nutritious soup all made with love......
Recipe for Pumpkin Soup
Ingredients for chicken stock base
- 3 litre water
- 1 kg chicken bones
- 4 stalks celery - cut
- 3 medium size carrot, peeled and cut
- 4 pips of garlic - crushed
- 2 medium size onions - cut into wedges
- 1/4 teasp peppercorns - crushed
- 1 teasp mixed dried herbs
- Seasalt to taste
- Blanch the chicken bones in some hot water, strain off the water, rinse well.
- In a pot bring the 3 lt. water to the boil, add in the chicken bones followed by the above ingredients except the seasalt. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 4 hours.
- Strain the chicken stock, discard the chicken bones, celery but retain the carrots.
- Fine tune to taste. Set aside.
- 1 kg pumpkin, nett wt., diced into small cubes
- 1 teasp pressed garlic
- 1 big onion diced into small cubes
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil or Butter
- Thickened cream
- Mixed dried herbs
- Seasalt to taste
- In a pot add in some oil and saute the diced onions till translucent, add in the garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add in the diced pumpkin and fry till cooked.
- Add in enough chicken stock to cover the pumpkin and add in the carrots from the stock as well.
- Fine tune to taste and add in some mixed dried herbs, simmer to a light boil.
- With a handheld blender, puree the hot soup till creamy and strain if a smooth consistency is desired.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Add in some thickened cream and a sprinkling of mixed dried herbs.
- Serve immediately with some toasts, fresh bread or even on its own.
- Freeze any left over chicken stock for future use.
I'm linking this to Recipe Box #4 hosted by Bizzy Bakes.