I adapted a recipe from Christine's Recipes to make these cute little steamed 'woon chai ko' with red bean. However, I tweaked the recipe a bit by using palm sugar instead of brown sugar.
Spruce this up a bit with more syrupy kidney beans. The touch up enhanced the look as well as the taste ....
- 85 gm rice flour
- 55 gm wheat starch flour
- 110 gm palm sugar/gula melaka instead of brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- Canned kidney beans
- Add rice flour, wheat flour and 1/2 cup water, mix well.
- Bring to the boil, 1.1/2 cups water and palm sugar, stir till sugar has dissolved. Quickly pour this into the flour mixture. Stir while pouring to combine thoroughly.
- Scoop onto greased bowls, steam over high heat for about 13 to 15 mins. Halfway through steaming, add some red beans on the surface and continue to steam till cooked through.
- Unmould the cakes when they're completely cooled.
- Serve with more syrupy red beans.
- Yield : 10 rice cakes.
I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by 3 Hungry Tummies.
Also linking to Recipe Box # 8 hosted by Bizzy Bakes