This year I tried to make mooncakes with salted egg yolks as frankly I like to have my mooncakes with only a single egg yolk. I find that the salty taste of the egg yolk blends very well with the sweet lotus pandan paste. They sort of complement each other ...
The recipe is the same as my last year's post of traditional mooncakes but as I added egg yolk to the paste this time, some weight adjustments had to be made. I made 4 mooncakes with a single egg yolk and 4 mini square ones without egg yolk.
- Recipe for Traditional Mooncakes 2012
- 150 gm superfine flour
- 90 ml golden syrup
- 38 ml vegetable oil
- 2 ml alkaline water
- Egg wash - 1 whole egg + 1 tsp water, mix well and strain
- 720 gm lotus pandan paste
- 4 salted egg yolks (about 80 gm)
- 20 gm melon seeds, lightly toasted
Method for Egg yolk
- Lightly wash the whites from the egg yolk. Roll yolks in some sesame oil and cooking wine (optional), then steam for 5 mins. Let cool.
- Mix the golden syrup, oil and alkaline water thoroughly with a whisk.
- Sift in flour, mix well till well combined.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for at least 2 hours or more.
- Mix the paste with melon seeds and weigh out 130 gm of paste, roll into a ball.
- Wrap each ball of paste with an egg yolk (20 gm) and shape into a ball.
- Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface and weigh out 50 gm of dough, shape into a ball.
- Flatten the dough and place a ball of paste in the centre, wrap and roll into a ball. Press this prepared dough into a lightly floured plunger mould, press out to dislodge mooncake. Continue this process with the rest of the prepared dough. Dust off any excess flour.
- Place mooncakes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, lightly spray with water.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C, middle shelf for 20 mins., remove from oven, let cool for 10 mins. Apply egg wash once and return to the oven to bake for another 7 to 8 mins, @ 175 deg.C, till golden brown, repositioning the mooncakes if necessary. (Refer to footnote for baking time of mini moon cakes)
- Remove the mooncakes from the oven. Let mooncakes cool completely.
- Let mooncakes rest ( 回油) for about 3 to 4 days before consuming. (Once the mooncakes are cooled completely, place them in an air-tight container to let the skin soften).
- For the 200 gm peach mould - Dough is 50 gm and paste is 150 gm (130 gm + 20 gm egg yolk). For the 63 gm mini square mould - Dough is 25 gm and paste is 35 gm. Bake @ 180 deg.C for 8 mins., let cool for 10 mins. Apply egg wash and return to oven to bake for another 3 to 4 mins. @ 175 deg.C
I'm submitting this post to Suresh @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday