B lack glutinous rice chiffon cake has been on my 'to-do' list for quite a while. Well, I finally managed to make it using a recipe from Anncoo Journal but have adjusted the recipe to fit my 23 cm chiffon pan.
Recipe for Black glutinous rice chiffon cake (adapted from Anncoo Journal with slight modifications)
(A) 5 egg yolks
25 gm caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2.1/2 Tbsp canola oil
60 ml coconut milk
(B) 45 gm superfine flour
55 gm black glutinous flour
1/4 tsp + a pinch of baking powder
(C) 5 egg whites
60 gm caster sugar
1/4 tsp + a pinch of cream of tartar
- Sift flour, black glutinous flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks with the sugar till creamy.
- Add in oil, whisk and add in coconut milk. Continue to whisk till creamy.
- Fold in sifted flour till well combined.
- Whisk egg whites, add in cream of tartar and whisk till foamy, add in sugar in 2 to 3 batches.
- Beat till stiff but not dry.
- Fold 1/3 into the egg yolk mixture, mix well, followed by the remaining egg whites. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 23 cm chiffon pan. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 35 to 40 mins. till golden brown. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Invert cake immediately onto a wire rack, once cooled, run a knife along the sides of the pan and unmould.