Stone fruits were aplenty in Hawaii when I was there - nectarines, peaches, apricots, plums and cherries. I jumped upon the opportunity to bake this Cherry Beer Cake and was delighted that it was well received and everybody liked it.
Recipe for Cherry Beer Cake
- 3/4 cup cherries
8 oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
10 oz caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp butter - melted
1 cup/250 ml light beer
1. Cut cherries in half, lengthwise and arrange at the bottom and up the sides of a greased and lightly floured bundt pan.
2. Chop up 1/4 cup cherries and dry them in kitchen paper.
3. Sift flour and baking powder, set aside.
4. Beat eggs on high speed till light and thick. Beat in sugar in 3 batches till well combined. Add vanilla.
5. Fold in flour mixture, mix well.
6. Heat 1 cup of beer till bubbles begin to rise around the edge of the pan. Add warm beer along with the melted butter to the batter sitrring gently to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan, being careful not to dislodge the cherries. (Batter will appear thin). Sprinkle chopped cherries over the top of the batter.
7. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 30 to 35 mins. Let cake cool in pan for about 15 mins. before unmoulding and cool completely on a wire rack.
I'm submitting this post to Recipe Box # 17 hosted by Bizzy Bakes.