I fast forwarded Dongzhi aka Winter Solstice and celebrated it early. Made these Savoury Tong Yuen or glutinous rice balls and had this for lunch with my family. Normally, I would make sweet tong yuen but this year I thought I'd try something different which will double up as a meal as well instead of having it just for dessert. Dongzhi falls on this Friday, 21st December 2012.
Recipe for Savoury Tang Yuen
For the ingredients and method of making Tong Yuen, please click 'here'.
- 150 gm pork or chicken fillet
- 4 dried Shitake mushrooms, soaked, stemmed and sliced
- Chicken stock
- Vegetables of your choice
- Seasalt to taste
- Sesame oil
- 1 tsp light soya sauce, 1/2 tsp seasalt, 1/4 tsp sugar, a dash of pepper
1. Bring the chicken stock to a boil, add in the mushrooms and marinated meat, simmer on low heat till cooked.
2. Fine tune to desired taste and add in the vegetables.
3. Ladle the boiled tong yuen onto serving bowls, top up with the chicken broth, drizzle on some sesame oil and a dash of pepper.
4. Serve immediately.
- Happy Dongzhi ~ Winter Solstice
- to those who celebrate this festival on Friday 21st December 2012