I was curious when I saw this post by Ann of Anncoojournal. Never thought of adding 'Bak Kwa' or BBQ meat into cookies....hmmm wonder how the cookies would taste. To satisfy my curiosity I made them and was not disappointed at all. They were not too sweet, a wee bit savoury, fragrant and chewy, not a bad choice cookie for the Chinese New Year!
Recipe for Bak Kwa Cookies ~ CNY 2013 (adapted from Anncoojournal but with slight modifications)
- 75 gm butter
- 50 gm shortening
- 35 gm icing sugar
- 1/2 an egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 200 gm plain flour, sifted
- 65 gm Bak Kwa, diced small
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and beat till well mixed.
- Add vanilla, mix well.
- Fold in sifted flour and add in the Bak Kwa pieces, mix thoroughly.
- Shape the dough roughly into a rectangle, wrap up in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 mins. till firm.
- Cut up the dough into slices and place them on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 16 - 18 mins. till lightly browned.
I'm submiting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover