I was surfing the net for a lemon poppy seed bundt cake and this recipe from TLC caught my eye. Curious about the the recipe as it called for more egg whites, as well as the method, I set off to try. After adding in the milk and vanilla, the batter curdled and I had to quickly add in flour to absorb the moisture. I was quite dubious about the taste and texture of this cake then. As I've brushed on lemon glaze I waited patiently till the next day before I could cut it up..........
Recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake (adapted from TLC with modifications)
- 4 oz caster sugar (reduced from 8 oz)
- 4 oz butter
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 8 oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
- Sift plain flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Beat sugar, egg, egg whites and butter till well blended.
- Add in the milk and vanilla. (Batter will curdle at this juncture).
- Fold in sifted flour, lemon peel and poppy seeds. Mix well, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased and flour dusted 8 cup Bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 35 to 40 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven, poke holes and brush with the lemon zyrup. Leave cake in the pan for 10 mins. before unmoulding the cake onto a serving plate.
- Brush the cake with the remaining lemon syrup while the cake is still warm.