Happy New Year everyone! Packed with walnuts, dates and cinnamon fragrance, this coffee cake gets it leavening from beer. Soft and moist, this is great for breakfast as well as for tea! Something boozy to usher in the Year 2013!
Recipe for Carlsberg Beer Coffee Cake
- 12 oz plain flour
- 9 oz brown sugar
- 8 oz butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 oz lightly roasted chopped walnuts
- 5 oz pitted chopped dates
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups beer
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt, cinnamon set aside. Dust the dates with some of this mixture.
- Cream butter with brown sugar till smooth and creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Fold in flour alternatively with the beer, blend well.
- Stir in walnuts and dates, mix well, scrapping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Spoon batter into a well greased and flour dusted 10 cup Bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 1 hr. 10 mins. till brown, test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cake stand in pan for about 20 mins. before unmoulding and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar, if desired.
Wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful 2013!