Had a crush on Pau after having had some dim sum brunch lately, so set out to DIY and bring forth this Chicken Mushroom Pau. This time, the dough took a little bit longer to prove perhaps due to the gloomy, wet weather but nonetheless the end result was just as satisfactory.
Recipe for Steamed Bun ~ Pau (Please refer 'Here' for the recipe and method for the Pau skin)
- Ingredients for Chicken Mushroom filling
- 450 gm free range chicken, cut into bite size
- 10 Shitake mushrooms, washed, soaked and stemmed
- 250 gm turnip (sengkuang), diced
- 5 pips garlic, chopped
- 1 pc kwai far yoke in lieu of sausage, cut (optional)
- 1.1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt, light soya sauce to taste
- 2.1/2 Tbsp cornflour + 2 Tbsp water to thicken
- 1/2 tsp each of : salt and dark soya sauce
- 1 tsp each of : oyster sauce, sugar and light soya sauce
- a dash of pepper
- Season the chicken and mushrooms, set aside.
- Saute some oil with the chopped garlic till fragrant, add in the chicken and mushrooms, stir-fry.
- Add in the kwai far yoke/sausage and turnip, continue frying.
- Add in water, salt and light soya sauce. Simmer.
- Once the chicken and mushroom are tender, test for taste and add in the thickening.
- When cooled completely, keep refrigerated till ready for use. (Best to make this a day before).