My family likes to eat meat floss, be it chicken or pork and this is getting to be very expensive these days especially with the approaching Chinese New Year. So I tried my hands to make this with the slow cooker to soften the meat and was quite pleased with the result. If you don't mind the hours of standing and frying the meat till it becomes floss, then it's not a bad idea to make this a gift for CNY!
Recipe for Pork Floss
- 700 gm pork shoulder
- 3.1/2 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 150 gm rock sugar or to taste
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- Some seasalt and pepper to marinate the pork
- Marinate the meat with some salt and pepper for an hour or more.
- Put the meat into a slow cooker, add in all the sauces, rock sugar and water. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the meat and shred with a fork.
- Transfer the shredded meat onto a non-stick pan, add in the stock, lower the heat and fry the meat constantly with a wooden spatula and tear the meat with a pair of chopsticks. Fine tune to desired taste.
- Keep on frying until the meat floss is dry and crispy. This may take about an hour.
- Let cool and store in an air-tight container. Keep refrigerated.