I'm back at my comp again after a short but relaxing vacation. Wish that I could stay longer and enjoy the cool, fresh air instead of sweating it out in this awfully hot and humid weather. These cupcakes were made some time back, can't really remember the source of this recipe but the method of making these little cuppies caught my attention. Verdict ........ light texture. Tastewise ..... it's a cross bewteen a sponge and a cake but undoubtedly delicious!
Recipe for Buttermilk Cupcakes
- 8 oz cold butter, cut into cubes
- 12 oz plain flour
- 9 oz caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, cold
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl, mix well.
- On low speed, add in butter piece by piece till well incorporated. Mixture will be crumbly but not sticky.
- In a bowl with a spout, mix cold buttermilk, water, vanilla and stir.
- Quickly add in bicarbonate of soda, stir well.
- Pour this mixture into the butter mixture, mix till just combined.
- Increase speed to medium and beat till ridges form at the side of the mixing bowl and pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Lightly whisk egg and egg whites in a bowl on low speed and slowly add this into the butter mixture.
- Scrape mixture and fold in once or twice, then stop the machine. Scoop the mixture into the lined cupcake pan. Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 25 to 30 mins. Test with a skewer till it comes out clean. Let cool in pan before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Yield : 24 cupcakes.
To make buttermilk
Add 1 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice and enough milk to make up 1 cup. Stir and let stand for 10 mins.