This is certainly heaven in a scoop, most welcome in this hot, crazy weather. I can assure you that no one can muster the willpower to stop at savouring just one scoop of this gooey, green tea flavoured ice cream!
Recipe for Green Tea Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp matcha/green tea powder
- 3 Tbsp hot green tea OR water
- A pinch of salt
- Mix hot green tea with matcha powder, set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar, till pale and light.
- In a saucepan, whisk cream and milk till smooth. Cook on low heat till milk just begins to foam up. Remove from heat.
- Pour milk mixture slowly into the egg mixture, stirring continuously so as not to cook the eggs. Stir in the green tea paste, mix well.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan, cook on low heat stirring with a wooden spoon till mixture can coat the back of the wooden spoon. (Test by drawing a line through the middle of the custard).
- Immediately remove from heat, stir for a few minutes so as not to overcook.
- Cover with cling wrap, let cool to room temperature, refrigerate overnight.
- Churn for 30 mins., in the ice cream maker or according to the instructions of your ice cream maker.
I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers # 30: It's Tea Time! (April 2013)
hosted by Food Playground