This recipe actually calls for Rhubarb and Orange but since I couldn't find Rhubarb here, I substituted with Pumpkin instead. I was not disappointed as the bright orangish pumpkin helped gave the cake a more vibrant colour which made it attractive as well.
This cake tastes best on the day it's baked. Heat up any leftovers and you won't know the difference!
Recipe for Orange & Pumpkin Cake
- 300 gm plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 120 gm butter
- 130 gm sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (mix well)
- 50 to 100 gm pumpkin, peeled and sliced
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Sieve flour with the baking powder, set aside.
- Beat, butter, sugar, zest and vanilla till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Combine milk and bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl. Add this into the butter mixture, mix well.
- Fold in sifted flour, mix thoroughly. (Consistency of batter is dropping but thick).
- Pour this mixture into a lightly greased and floured 8 inch springform pan.
- Arrange the pumpkin slices on top, pressing slightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg. C for 45 to 50 mins. Let cool in pan for 10 mins. before unmoulding and transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Lightly dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.